PDA

View Full Version : Underestimated the size of my SSD drive

FoxMulder
2013-11-30, 08:54
Two years ago I got a new PC.
Runs BF4 fine, but I got a 1TB HD but only a 60GB SSD. Which is running out (only 4GB left)

I already removed as much as I can. My Documents I placed on my 1TB drive and I install every program on my 1TB drive.

Still that does seems a little small, especially it keeps getting smaller. I'm afraid I won't have any memory left on my SSD. Which I assume will cause problems.

Can I add a bigger SSD (how much to be safe?) and can I transfer the content of my 60 SSD to the new one (which contains windows 7 and savegames that seem to be place there automatically)

I'd like keep the old one though. Should improve BF4 performance?

When it comes to prices, I like my computerparts like my cars. I don't need a BMW or Mercedes, but I also don't want a Lada or something French (no offense). Gimme a Volkswagen :D

JimDijkstra86NL
2014-06-12, 17:59
Whats the max. budget?, no budget no idea....PS just look me up on TS and request time...I willl get you what you need.
What SSD do you have now?...i still have a 60 GB i think a OCZ Vertex 2 laying around. (barely used, too small from week 1)
I wanna sell it maybe you or someone else has any advantage in using/having that.
Wanna buy a new SSD?, get a 120/180GB minimal...My advice get a 240 at least.
I got 480GB of SSD total and i still run out of space every other week.
Ofcourse i got 8TB of normal HDD's (mostly music, movies, backups) for everything else then OS, software, user files and games.

Eindbaas
2014-06-12, 20:41
Did you try programs like ccleaner to remove useless files / windows update install files etc, should give you an extra couple of gigs.

I would leave your windows install on the current SSD, and move everything else that is taking up space now (bf4?) to the new SSD, saves you a lot of trouble!

For buying an SSD, this week there was an annoucement that samsung is planning on releasing their new line of SSD's which are going to be be not a big improve speedwise, but money mise (rumors say they will be just as fast as current SSD's but half the price). Perhaps wait a bit so you can really get a nice SSD for your money

Pariz-One
2014-06-12, 20:43
wow jimmie, you gonna makeyour own commercial XD

PS i would let the commercial play a lot on youtube hahah :P

CONTACT JIMMIE ON TS FOR ALL YOUR PC SUPPORT/TIPS! haha

Force
2014-06-14, 03:05
Well..What endbaas said is right, people , solved a lot of problems this way...
And jimmy is a God with hardware..

Caveman
2014-06-14, 07:55
I would raid 0 if a second ssd comes in place. So you get double the performance.

And always run the really important stuff from ssd. So that would be windows / drivers/ office / games.
Secondly if you hace a normal diskdrive beside your ssd make sure you place your personal folder on that drive.
So whenever you want to install windows again you just do so and redirect those folder whallaaaaa. Saves a boatload of time!! By personal folder i mean the folder that holds your documents/pictures/movies/contacts/favorites and so on.

Vercetti
2014-06-14, 12:37
Necro a thread from 30 november 2013. I don't think he'll read this.

Burning
2014-06-14, 16:42
Seriously, read topic dates before you all post lol.

zladuric
2014-06-15, 14:42
For what it's worth and if somebody else hits this topic, SSDs need (at least the small 60GB ones) at least 15-20% to operate on full speed and to be future-proof.

That's because SSDs constantly shuffle data from this chip to that, from one memory location to the other - to make sure all chips wear out equally. Now, if you have not enough space, ie. movies take up55GB, then only the remaining 5GB remain for data shuffling. Those 5 gigs will get worn out fast and you have an SSD failure on your hands.

So SSD guys, try to keep about 15-20% of your SSDs free, something like 10GB at the minimum.

Burning
2014-06-15, 15:28
For what it's worth and if somebody else hits this topic, SSDs need (at least the small 60GB ones) at least 15-20% to operate on full speed and to be future-proof.

That's because SSDs constantly shuffle data from this chip to that, from one memory location to the other - to make sure all chips wear out equally. Now, if you have not enough space, ie. movies take up55GB, then only the remaining 5GB remain for data shuffling. Those 5 gigs will get worn out fast and you have an SSD failure on your hands.

So SSD guys, try to keep about 15-20% of your SSDs free, something like 10GB at the minimum.

These guys wrote 600TB to some SSD's and now they start to get damaged sectors and such.
http://techreport.com/review/26058/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-data-retention-after-600tb

What you say is true, but:
Honestly ,I believe by the time my SSD wears out (Samsung 840 EVO 250gb) I will already have replaced it for something much bigger and or faster.
Writing even 100tb to a 250gb device is a lot.

zladuric
2014-06-16, 18:03
I know, I meant the small one. But still, even with a 240GB one, give it its10% so it'll work faster