PDA

View Full Version : All facts of BF4 we have learned since E3

Caveman
2013-06-16, 19:50
http://media-titanium.cursecdn.com/attachments/48/241/bf4-header.png

Battlefield 4 to have training level, C4 can be thrown again and more — tons of info detailed

After E3 so much info got confirmed/semi confirmed so i decided to make a list of all the things learned from BF4 multiplayer.

Lots of details have been revealed and confirmed via the E3 multiplayer livestream, as well as during interviews with DICE representatives.

Read on to learn about the vehicle training level, the ability to toss C4 once again, “Field Upgrades” that reward team actions, and much more!

Battlefield 4

Release Date: 10/29/2013
Rumored (leaked?) Beta date: 09/29/2013

Media

-Official Trailers

-Battlefield 4: Official “Siege of Shanghai” Multiplayer Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjSykcTGrNc)
-Battlefield 4 — E3 Multiplayer Gameplay — Best Moments (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nJY7n8KaOY)
-Battlefield 4: Official Commander Mode Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZTeVnM5Sw)
-Battlefield 4: Official “Angry Sea” Single Player Gameplay Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEZhbV9s1Ag)
-Battlefield 4: Official 17 Minutes “Fishing in Baku” Gameplay Reveal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8HVQXkeU8U)

-Gameplay Footage

-LevelCap Direct Feed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O-cJhOCd7GY)

-Official Gallery (http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield-4/images/all-out-war-2-bf4)

Expansion Packs

-China Rising: free with preorder
-Second Assault: includes 4 maps from BF3

Features

-64 players, 60 fps confirmed for XB1 and PS4 (1080p has been mentioned, but is yet to be confirmed); expect 30 FPS, 24 players, kinda-HD for X360 and PS3
-Confirmed game modes: Squad Deathmatch, Conquest, Rush, and Team Deathmatch (at least 2 new game modes will come, but some from BF3 will be dropped;implied 7-10 game modes total)
-Hardcore mode ->Ammo is magazine-based, not “pool”-based
-In-game VOIP
-No Battle Recorder; can rely on built in XB1 and PS4 recorders
-Practice mode/tutorial mode for vehicles
-Better Battlelog integration for consoles
-USMC, Russia, and China factions

Maps

-Siege at Shanghai (featured in E3 Pre-Alpha)
-“Levolution” ->Every map will have changes that can alter the makeup of the map/level. For example, in Siege in Shanghai, after the skyscraper falls, a small peninsula of rubble can be traversed and dust/debris in the air decreases visibility in the area
-Also refers to the verticality they want to add to maps.
-So far, not scripted–can take out supports to bring down skyscraper
-Urban areas can’t be flattened by destruction; design choice, not engine limitation
-Improved environments ->Metal detectors can expose you, storefront gates can be shut to cut people off, fire extinguishers create smoke screens, bollards can prevent vehicle access
-Water reacts dynamically to vehicles and events (skyscraper falling)

Commander Mode

-One player on each side that does not occupy a player slot (64 players + 2 commanders)
-Can be played from console, PC, or remotely with a tablet (“Mobile Commander” mode)
-Scan and EMP UAVs can be deployed; vehicle scans, tomahawk missiles, infantry scans, and gunships can be deployed based on whether or not certain bases are capture
-Supply (ammo and medical) and vehicle drops
-Set attack orders for individual squads; squad leaders can confirm that they are accepting the commander’s orders
-Included in Conquest and Rush so far
-Commander persistence/skill tree
-“Gating” queue system that prevents everyone from being eligible as a commander
-Squad leaders can initiate votekick to oust a bad commander
-If squads follow your orders, everyone receives bonus points
-Can counter commander’s abilities (scramble UAV, for example)

Spectator Mode

-Confirmed for PC, “we’ll see” for console
-Views: Table Top, First Person, Third Person, Free Cam
-Can “set” up to five free cams around the map to quickly jump to certain location
-UI can be turned off
-Can click on player from table top view and get PiP view of their screen

Game Mechanics

-Squad assists can count as kills if you contibuted the most to the kill (maybe >90%?)
-Reduced suppression: Support now contributes the most to suppression and it has a greater effect at long range
-ADS near cover allows a “peak” cover system. Not sure if you can lean left/right, but seems you can pop up above cover
-“Click to spawn” deployment options; you can click on a spawn point or squad member to spawn
-Interface is muuuch less click-heavy vs BF3
-No in-game Killfeed (your kills are displayed in center of screen briefly) or Killcam, but this is subject to change (pre-alpha)
-Movement system has been tweaked for momentum; it takes a moment to get to full sprint speed
-Directional callouts–the default “enemy spotted” voice seems to indicate directions/location relative to your position
-Hand gestures indicate commands, including spotting; multiple enemies can be spotted at a time
-Ladder climbing is faster
-Proprietary matchmaking system instead of system matchmaking
-Skill system, in addition to matchmaking; can set skill reqs for servers
-“Partial mod” support; likely to be server-side modifications (vehicle count, damage mods, player count???)
-No blue tint, (yet) in-game UI looks very neutral
-In-game HUD shows hotkeys for different gadgets/attachments at bottom/middle of the screen
-When spawning, you’ll see live feed gameplay of wherever you choose to spawn. (squad member, vehicle, capture point, etc.)
-Bullet tracers and smoke trails are more prominent; grenades have smoke trails
-Knife attacks can be countered by pressing button when prompted (small window)

Sea Combat

-Can dive to avoid gunfire
-Can shoot pistols under/above water while swimming (shooting underwater is very inaccurate)
-Can sprint swim
-Sea combat: Jetskis, boats, and “ships” confirmed.
-Exiting an attack boat launches you directly into a jetski from the back of the boat

Vehicles

-Enhanced vehicle disabling: Vehicles are disabled based on the parts that are hit; however, tires can’t be shot out (it’s not that granular)
-Vehicle customization/specialization is more robust than BF3
-Air
-Land ->Limited MBT 120mm ammo, which can regenerate
-Sea ->Can be outfitted with anti-air and anti-armor rockets

http://oi39.tinypic.com/23hvjn7.jpg

Classes, Weapons, and Equipment

-All classes ->Excellent gallery of loadout screens
-Faction-specific weapons are back
-All classes have access to their primary weapon class, carbines, designated marksman rifles, and shotguns
-Pistols can be customized
-Grenades: HE, flashbang, and incendiary
-Tons of attachments/customizations (green hipfire laser sights, different foregrips, barrel types, bipods, silencer/flashlight combo)
-Over 1200 items that can be unlocked via 300 “Battlepacks”, which can be earned or bought
-Attachment system ->Optics: various sights
-Barrel: muzzle brake, etc.
-Accessory: canted iron sights, laser pointer (same as BF3), green laser pointer (possibly stealthier, only shows up to enemy if directly in their eyes)
-Underbarrel: angled grip (lower initial recoil), vertical grip (same as BF3)

-Assault ->Primary: assault rifles
-Medic Bag: deployable health
-First Aid Pack: You toss this onto someone. It regenerates their health, regardless of their proximity to you. If you toss onto ground, it can be picked up by someone else
-Defibs need to be charged before you can pick someone up; seems they still need to be unlocked Actually, they were not in the Alpha due to a bug found at the last minute

-Recon ->Primary: sniper rifles
-C4; can be thrown again, and can attach to boats
-Motion sensor ball (it also seems there is TUGS, but haven’t seen it in-game; we have seen the sensor ball in-game, however)
-Range finder and scope zeroing
-Ability to use different zoom levels in one scope

-Support ->Primary: LMGs
-Ammo bag: deployable ammo
-Ammo pack: ammo that can individually be given to someone
-Support has 25MM support grenade launcher, grenades explode midflight. Aim at target, then lift sights and fire and grenade explodes above target

-Engineer ->Primary: PDWs
-Engineer can carry AT Mine and Repair torch at same time
-RPG, Stinger, MBT-LAW

Squads
-Field Upgrades
-Team actions/XP build up your squad “field upgrades” meter
-You get to pick your upgrade “path”; you share XP, but pick your own field upgrades–there are no more squad specializations
-Two field upgrade paths: Offensive and Defensive (more field upgrades may be added down the line)
-Squad wipe takes you down one level; there are four levels of field upgrades
-5 players per squad
-Default is squad-spawn on anyone; squad leader-only spawning is server setting

http://i.imgur.com/hCpcAWm.jpg

Thanks to Pixelenemy

macgyver1969
2013-06-16, 20:51
I'm sorry to tell everybody, that I was invited by EA to play Alpha Test of BF4. Starting tomorrow 17-06-2013. Â*:D

Caveman
2013-06-16, 21:49
http://i.imgur.com/r0iaS3A.jpg

Shadowfox
2013-06-16, 22:05
I'm sorry to tell everybody, that I was invited by EA to play Alpha Test of BF4. Starting tomorrow 17-06-2013. *:D
Why you? I mean, did something or just completely random?

Caveman
2013-06-16, 22:10
Completly random and already closed so no more invites

http://www.reddit.com/user/JBRipley

macgyver1969
2013-06-16, 22:21
I know about the white buildings Cave. I've read the whole e-mail. Â*:wink:

Caveman
2013-06-16, 22:26
I know, but a lot of people head the idea they where going to play the pre-alpha from the E3 and just wanted to clear that.

Valheru73
2013-06-16, 23:10
I was also lucky enough to get an alpha invite so I'm eagerly awaiting tomorrow evening. Maybe we could try to get in on the same server Mac?

Macknetic
2013-06-17, 00:23
Which type of bribe did you guys use to get into the alpha Val and Mac? The good old booze and cigars combination? Raw cash? Or perhaps certain physical services that shall remain undisclosed? Â* 8O

Valheru73
2013-06-17, 09:06
To protect the eyes and ears of the innocent I must decline to answer Mack's question. Â*:wink:

Vercetti
2013-06-17, 17:26
nom nom nom dick nom nom nom Â*:lol:

Caveman
2013-06-20, 17:23
Real E3 gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqJfCPcu0As&feature=youtu.be

macgyver1969
2013-06-23, 00:02
So far the whole Alpha is very laggy and buggy.

But I had some fun rounds together with Val. Because of the very hot days we had this week, I didn't play so much. Gonna play more next week as long as the trial goes on.

btw i saw Corporal Chaos is the the alpha too.

Caveman
2013-06-23, 10:14
That's why it is an ALPHA it's there to report to the dev's what to change, report bugs and test backend structures.

So if you only play it for fun then you missed the whole point of what an alpha is.

FluggerNO
2013-06-23, 10:43
That's why it is an ALPHA it's there to report to the dev's what to change, report bugs and test backend structures.

So if you only play it for fun then you missed the whole point of what an alpha is.

I do belive that Mac knows that Â*:wink:
And why not play and have some fun also at the time Â*:D

macgyver1969
2013-06-23, 11:34
Well Flugger,

Cave is just a bit jealous. Â*:D

macgyver1969
2013-06-23, 11:34
Well Flugger,

Cave is just a bit jealous. Â*:D

Shadowfox
2013-06-23, 12:37
Why would anyone be jealous of BF4 Alpha? If you want buggy and broken gameplay with a little bit of fun, we can just play BF3. It's pretty much the same but with textures Â*:lol:

Burning
2013-06-23, 13:34
Why would anyone be jealous of BF4 Alpha? If you want buggy and broken gameplay with a little bit of fun, we can just play BF3. It's pretty much the same but with textures *:lol:

Hahah Â*, +1

FluggerNO
2013-06-23, 16:22
Why would anyone be jealous of BF4 Alpha?

A true fanboy will be that Â*:wink:

Caveman
2013-06-24, 20:15
You guys just noobs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9yVV6g3q7g&feature=youtu.be

Caveman
2013-06-27, 06:25
After an E3 in which we saw the mass destruction of the ‘Siege of Shanghai’ trailer, we sat down with Dice producer Aleksander Grondal to grill him on how a next generation of consoles will change the Battlefield series’ trademark multiplayer. Here’s everything we learned.

Bad Company 2 was all about destruction, you could level entire building, completely change the shape of an entire map. Is that going to be the case with Battlefield 4?

Aleksander Grondal: Yes, absolutely.

Even dealing with buildings on the scale we saw in the new multiplayer trailer?

Yes, so for the Siege on Shanghai map we focused the destruction, we wanted to take one building down on this map, we felt like if we took all the buildings down on that map it would completely ruin the game experience that we wanted to design in the first place. On traditional Battlefield maps you have all these small houses; it doesn’t really change that much to destroy all the houses, it looks really cool. But this map we wanted to focus – to focus and say “ok, the focus of the map is that building, and the destruction on the smaller [scale] is around store fronts and around, you know, where players are at and shooting in the area. We’re focussing destruction there.

So is the destruction of the big building a scripted event?

No it’s a player-triggered event.

So if we pound that building enough it’s going to collapse?

Yes, basically. It has supporting pillars that are pre-weakened, so that’s the idea; the players can choose to shoot those players out. But we also want the sense that you own the thing. If you own it, you can go up top on the skyscraper there, it’s a really tactical point because you can jump out and kind of paraglide to all the other points. So if you have it, you want to keep it. But if, for instance, the other team has a really good chopper pilot so you want to make it a bit more difficult for him to try to take the building down? Now we have this whole new gameplay area and you have this reduced visibility because you have all this dust in the air and stuff like that.

It [feeds] into the design concept which we call level-ution. And essentially what that is is we’re trying to tie all the dynamic events on the map into one design concept. So it’s cool with the skyscraper coming down, but that’s not what’s most exciting for me, personally; I’m more excited about the small things you can do while you’re playing.

So imagine you’re running into a car, the car alarm starts going off; now the enemy is aware that you’re in a nearby area. Or that there’s fires going on in the place and now the sprinklers are going off; sprinklers are throwing water at me and I get camera effects from the sprinklers. Or a fire extinguisher: shoot it and it’s now a temporary smoke cloud. And of course you have things like opening and closing shutter gates, you can lower and raise bollards to stop vehicles getting into certain areas. It’s all things that exist in the real world, we wanted to make sure that they had a purpose in Battlefield. That you can use them creatively if you want.

These things, I think, matter the most to second-to-second gameplay. Makes it more interesting. And this isn’t something new, we’re just building on the destruction levels that were already there. We wanted to see what else we could do. Like, ok, a fuse box? Shoot a fuse box: the building goes dark. That’s a new element we wanted to bring into play.

Producer Aleksander Grondal says Battlefield 4?s multiplayer maps will hark back to the destructibility of Bad Company 2.

There’s still a greatly reduced level of destruction to what you had in BC2, so what was the problem with BC2 since you guys have absolutely turned your back on that… not only that game, but also that kind of destruction?

We love that kind of destruction, and we want to have that kind of destruction on other types of maps. It’s just that this one, we wanted to be a bit more focused.

So that style of play will be in the game?

Yes, absolutely.

There’ll be maps where players can essentially carve a straight line across the map?

Essentially, yes. So with these houses that collapse, you know the one and two storey houses that completely gets obliterated? We’ll have maps with that type of gameplay, too.

OK, so in this case you have a map built around one type of building which can be brought down and other maps will be a sea of huts that you can wreck?

Yes. I love Bad Company. I also think Bad Company had a better level of destruction than Battlefield 3 and we are the first to admit that. Battlefield 3 didn’t necessarily deliver what we wanted it to be on the destruction level so we’re kind of upping that, we want to make sure everything goes.

The other thing Battlefield 3 didn’t deliver was a satisfying experience for console players because you obviously had to crop the maps down. With the introduction of the next generation of consoles can you now finally bring the full Battlefield experience to consoles?

Exactly, that’s what we want to do. We are bringing 64 players to the next generation consoles and we’re bringing 60fps to the next generation consoles. We wanted to finally get that epic scale that PC players have been accustomed to but console players haven’t.

With that in mind you’ve also upped the squad count to five – why?

You know, team play was something that we really wanted to focus on. We wanted to give a bit more options to team play. So by adding another team member to the squad we felt like, ok, this is good, we have some more tactical options, we have some more spawn points and it’s more situations to be together. And we felt that five was the right balance for Battlefield 4. I know previous games have had even more in the squad, but we felt like this was right.

And of course another thing is that we’re bringing back the commander and then the squad leader actually has a role to play. In Battlefield 3 we didn’t really deliver on the role of a squad leader. It was just essentially a guy in the squad. But we felt like that was underplayed, we could do more with the role of the squad leader. So the commander can issue orders to the squad leader and he can accept or deny the orders he gets from the commander. So essentially he’s in control of his squad and can choose to not do what the commander orders him to do. He can also request things from the commander himself. We wanted there to be more of a chain of command.

Commander Mode.

And how is the commander selected?

Basically, you choose to apply as commander. You can do it from in-game, or you can do it from a tablet, we’re quite happy to have a commander on the tablet.

So that means you essentially have a 1-in-32 chance of being the commander in any given battle?

No I don’t think that’s going to be [the case]. I think that most people that want to play commander will find out [quickly] if playing as commander is the [right thing] for them. And most other people don’t necessarily care about being the commander, they’re just happy being a part of the commander’s gameplay. But that being said, there is a system in place to make sure we pick commanders that are good, and you can of course vote a commander off if you don’t like him; you can mutiny and throw him out of his position. I’m not going into details about how the actual matchmaking thing works but we’ve done some number-crunching and we think that we have pretty solid ideas for those people who want to play as commander so that they can.

Commander mode, of course, is a returning feature. Is there a reason you took it out in the first place? What changes did it take to bring back commander mode and what learning did you have from it to make it worth bringing back?

I think going back and looking at commander… we went back and took a look at Battlefield 2142 commander… and I always felt like I wasn’t part of the game itself [as commander], I always felt like was doing my own thing trying to get as high a score as possible. And I felt like the connection between the world and the commander was distant; it was just there adding ambience. It was one of the things that I felt personally. So we decided, ok, let’s make sure that the commander has enough things to do so he actually dedicates all his time to becoming the commander rather than running around and maybe hiding behind something. And let’s make sure that the gameplay is connected too. How well your team performs is connected to what efforts you have available.

We wanted to make sure that we feel the presence of the commander when you’re playing with a commander on the server. Now if the player follows orders, does what the commander wants, that’ll be encouraged by… if you do what it says you’re supposed to be doing, you will get more team score, basically. So we added another mechanic for the team score which is essentially what we call the ‘field upgrades’. So this is kind of like a little kick-back to 2142 as well because the squads had progression in 2142. This is like similar to that.

So the squad, itself, has an experience bar and you get experience Â*by doing team-based actions like capturing the flag together, or I’m healing you in my squad, or I’m following orders from the commander. So all this gets thrown into our shared pool and that gets me nice little upgrades, you know extra ammo, sprint speed, stuff like that. And of course in Battlefield 3 you couldn’t really control what people were giving you, so in Battlefield 3 you had specialisations, so most of the time you had like a full squad and everyone had like shared run speed, for instance. So what we did here is you actually get to decide what upgrades you get on this progression. So [if] I want to play as like an offensive medic or whatever…

And that’s game-by-game, so it resets at the beginning of each game?

It resets, right now, when the squad [disbands]. So you build experience, but you can also lose experience and that’s if the whole squad gets wiped [out] it gets put down to your previous level. So it’s like ‘oh no, let’s at least have one guy left [alive] or we lose our points’.

Do you still have suppression in the game?

We still have suppression: there are some changes to it. The feedback we were getting was that it was a bit too random. Deviation was a bit too random. So we changed the mechanics; its more skill-based in how you’re going to react to suppression.

And how have you reworked the classes?

So the classes remain pretty much the same, we’ve done a little moving of gadgets between the classes – the C4 is now with the recon classes, for example – and people seem to be quite happy about that; it was a requested feature.

In Battlefield 3 the engineer was by far the most flexible and useful class – how much of that played into your thinking?

We wanted to make sure that people had access to explosives and can to do interesting stuff so we have added some more explosive-type gadgets. You have grenades you can pick and choose from.

Bad Company 2 had an under-slung grenade launcher on pretty much every gun in the game… is that something you’ve brought back?

No we didn’t bring that back. We love the M320, I love it, I use it all the time and maybe you do, too, because you’re a Bad Company player. It’s something that we talked about but we felt like for this we found a nice balance between the number explosives. You know grenades have now gotten a bit more powerful and now can take down structures. In Battlefield 3 grenades a bit weaker against physical objects so they have more abilities to take down things, now than they did in Battlefield 3. And of course we added some more diversity to the classes by allowing all classes to have carbines and to have a light sniper rifle and the idea here is that we want to give some more flexibility inside the class on what distance you want to engage on.

Is there a danger that if everyone is able to carry the same assault rifles, it erases the point of classes in the first place?

Yeah, there’s a number of weapons that are shared but still you have the best weapons in a specific range – they will always be better [for a specific class]. This is just for giving you an option to engage. You won’t be the best at it, and it won’t be the best weapon at all but it allows you to say ‘ok, I want to be a defensive engineer, I don’t have to run up to you immediately and shoot you in your stomach, I can actually take a little bit more of a strategic role – maybe I’ll be using some [long-range] weapons from a distance instead’. And in-between those things I can actually do something.

Will we see remakes of the most popular maps?

That’s something we’re doing. There are a few maps we’ve picked, we’re doing some re-work on them, adding a BF4 flavour. So that’s coming to the Xbox One first. Some of the old maps are really good. And especially going back to BC2, I would love to see more of the BC2 maps.

You guys also did some interesting experiments with Battlefield 3 with your DLC, introducing a pure Skirmish-based map. Did you learn anything in particular from doing those things?

Absolutely. We took a look at what the popular maps had been on expansion packs and took a lot of learning from the expansion packs themselves. I guess you’re referring to the close quarters maps?

Yeah.

In the beginning I must say I was a little bit sceptical about the direction we took. But I think you know after playing it, seeing it live I think we discovered that there is a group of people that really likes to enjoy this kind of high-intensity fights in the Battlefield universe, using the Battlefield mechanics. So you could say that we have a playerbase that have this, they love that, but they also play other stuff and I think that it’s the fact that we have all of these things that make Battlefield interesting. That you can be tired of playing, I want to just into the action, I just want to play for fifteen minutes and have time to play like an XP-free, super-big map, you can just get in there and shoot.

RPGforYOU
2013-06-27, 10:36
What do we remind of this.

The waves and threes blow the same direction ... awesome I guess ...

Like I said gfx can go in the nearest three if you ain't got gameplay you can go home.

PsychoEMT
2013-07-03, 10:02
Looks promising, I might just buy it

Shadowfox
2013-07-03, 16:59
I read that Hit Detection is still as broken as it is in BF3.