PDA

View Full Version : Server #5 City Maps

Macknetic
2013-04-03, 13:30
In an earlier post regarding an update of OG server #5 a staff member wrote:

"A community server, is a server where other players come to play with OUR COMMUNITY. .........but with the community server we're trying to attract players who don't care what they're playing as long as they can do it with OG members."

It looks like this type of player you are speaking of doesn't really exist because OG server #5 is perma-empty. I appreciate the idea and the intention behind is very cool, but as it turns it's just not very realistic. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't really see OG fanboys from all over world standing in line to play with us, hehe. Â*:wink: Â*

What does exist however is a group a of long time and loyal OG members that really want to play conquest on city maps. The past couple of weeks we have found out that good Aftermath servers have become very rare since the launch of Endgame. This means there is a hole in the market (might be an only Dutch expression) and we have a real chance to build a popular server.

So can we please turn Server #5 back into a 48 player/500 ticket/ 1 round per map City Map server (all Aftermath maps with Metro and Bazaar added)?

I could spend entire evenings playing on a server like that and I'm convinced many others feel the same, OG's and non-OG's. I've come to understand that many staff members don't really play BF3 all the time anymore. Nothing wrong with that but there is still a large group of OG's that does. Multiple veteran OG members would love a City Map server and in all honesty they deserve to be listened to.

And if my wall of text above doesn't convince you then I'm gonna stop being polite and use every dirty trick in the book.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
http://i46.tinypic.com/4t21ia.jpg

Thanks in advance guys!

Mack

Shadowfox
2013-04-03, 15:44
Done.

Safa246
2013-04-03, 16:45
Thanks. See you there tonight!

Macknetic
2013-04-03, 18:45
SWEET!

Thanks for the quick response Shadow!

Macknetic
2013-04-04, 12:04
Yesterday we played the entire evening on the new City Map server with a group of 10-15 OG's and loads of randoms. After we started it up at the beginning of the evening it filled up rapidly. The OG's spread across both teams, used seperate TS channels and we had a blast. All of us agreed the server settings and map rotation were great. ÂÂ*

Now I check the server and some staff member has already managed to change the ticket count and add two non-city maps for no apparent reason. So here I am again spamming the forum to make a request. To make things more clearer and permanent please change the server name to:

Old Guys #5 City Maps

Also a general appeal to the OG staff: please talk to the guy who is changing server settings on this server. The 48 player City Map server has those settings because a large group of actively BF3 playing OG's prefers them like that. If a staff member wants to play a specific map it would be great if he would just use the server browser like we all do or use the OG #6 Training server.

Thank you!

Mack

schietschijfje
2013-04-04, 12:24
The new setup with city maps is great. I had a lot of fun with you guys last night.

Gisse
2013-04-04, 12:37
Server restarted and config went off?

Valheru73
2013-04-04, 12:49
Just wanted to give my support for this great server idea. As someone already mentioned more than 10 OG members played last night for 2-3 hours and we had a really good time. I think there is a demand for City map servers for us infantry type players and especially for the great Aftermath maps that went almost extinct after End Game came out.

Macknetic
2013-04-04, 13:31
Spoke to Shadow on TS and the changes to the Server have been reverted. Apparantly the ticket count can only be set to a percentage of the standard ticket count for that map and not to a hard number. So when the Firestorm map was added the ticket count changed with that. How Firestorm and Gulf of Oman were added remains unclear. But the problem was resolved quickly by Shadow which is much appreciated.

macgyver1969
2013-04-04, 20:00
I also had a great evening yesterday on that server.

Hope we can keep this up 4-5 days a week at least. I'll be there as staff member as much as I can to help out admining and balancing the server.

Caveman
2013-04-04, 22:16
I had a great time tonight and nice to see people sitting in different channels.
If we keep this momentum going this could be a great server and also good to attract more people. 8)

Safa246
2013-04-04, 23:12
Agreed! Great evening playing last night. Lets just kick that awful Metro map out of the rotation. Unless, of course, I can always play on Val and the metro gangs side. Really a good evening, although I also love Damavand rush and the canal TDM's. Pretty much everything without jets, really...

I'm starting to think I might be easy to please!

Burning
2013-04-04, 23:12
Hmm this sounds like I have to download those 10gb of Patches afterall :)

zladuric
2013-04-04, 23:42
Hooah! Yesterday even I had a few hours to play and I really liked playing with the 15 old guys in TS and stuff :)

I also like the Caspian ÂÂ*server, and sometimes I play Tabs TDM server and Damavand peak rush, which are always full but I rarely see any OG there. Only when I talk somebody into it :)

I might be wrong, though, as I'm not much online. But thankfully, I just finished a long six-month project and I'm quitting further work with that guy as it was squeezing all of my time. (Not to worry, I have another job to work on to buy myself shiny new stuff).

Anyway, hooah to the

Macknetic
2013-04-05, 10:00
Lots of positive reactions which is great to see.

I've been thinking about the player limit, which is set at 32 now. 32 works very well and none of maps feel crowded. The major problem with having only 32 players is that on some of the maps the vehicles become too influential. Normally only a certain part of the players go Engineer to fight against vehicles, others don't bother. In practice this means that on maps like Markaz, Azadi and Bazaar the relatively small group of engineers gets overrun by vehicles and the battle becomes very vehicle-heavy. And this server is meant to be focused on infantry combat.

With 48 players on it we'll have the same amount of vehicles but more infantry to counter their influence on the battle. Maps like Metro and Talah might start to feel slightly crowded but not as bad as 64 and I think they will still be very playable.

To make it clear to everyone looking for a cool infantry-oriented server we should change the name of the server as well. Â*

So please set the player limit on OG #5 to 48 players and also change the name to Old Guys Gaming #5 City Maps.

Big thanks!

p.s. Sorry for constantly harassing staff with this server #5 stuff but I believe a little fine tuning goes a long way and I can't change server settings myself.

Shadowfox
2013-04-05, 11:08
I'll have to talk to Vercetti to upgrade the slots on the server.
It had 48 when I did the changes, somebody must have changed it.

macgyver1969
2013-04-05, 20:53
I think another advance of 48 players is, that it will not run emtpy to quickly ones there are more then 40 players present. As soon as 7-10 players stop at the end of a round, there will still be more then 30 left, so the fun will stay.

Pubbe
2013-04-06, 15:05
Sounds awsome macknetic!

really like the idea!

Macknetic
2013-04-27, 10:05
Played some rounds on the OG #5 yesterday. A large group of OG's started it up and in when we played Talah Market in the second round it filled up nicely. Good balanced round with about 30 players. After that the server rotated to Epicenter Scavenger. All but 5 players left and the server was empty once again.

Please change it back to Epicenter Conquest!

Burning
2013-04-27, 12:58
Played some rounds on the OG #5 yesterday. A large group of OG's started it up and in when we played Talah Market in the second round it filled up nicely. Good balanced round with about 30 players. After that the server rotated to Epicenter Scavenger. All but 5 players left and the server was empty once again.

Please change it back to Epicenter Conquest!

Agree, everybody hates scavenger :)

Tabernac
2013-05-16, 19:09
Right after a multitude of responses on this posting I want configure the community server #5 to something that works for all and into a configuration that will run easily across the summer period (BF3 quiet time as members piss off to cottages and take up gay sports such as fishing&lacross)

So my humble suggestion is to keep the city maps that are on it but make it a mixed mode (Rush / Conquest) > 20 players, with a <20 player TDM set up.. and possibly premium mode enabled to stop gamers disconnecting between DLC mode changes..

Hopefully i will have no serious objections to the above as currently this server is a giant waste of time, space & cash.... so would like to implement the changes tomorrow or Saturday.

Cheers

Alex

Macknetic
2013-05-16, 21:08
Go for it Tab! Good luck with getting the server to work.