PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a new gaming system.

SNaKeSHiT
2012-09-24, 17:36
Hello lads,

I'm thinking about putting together a new gaming system.

What i have:
- Antec 1200 tower
- 900 Watt powersupply (antec i believe, and modular)
- dvd writer

What I need:
- Motherboard
- Processor (with cooler)
- Ram
- Videocard
- HDD
- SSD

Tweakers.net bestbuy september says this:
- ASRock Z75 Pro3 (€ 77,45)
- Intel Core i5 3570K (€ 201,-)
- Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 (€ 33,32)
- Gigabyte Radeon HD7950 WindForce 3 (€ 285,-)
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST1000DM003, 1TB (€ 69,03)
- Samsung 830 series 128GB (€ 88,10)

Total cost: € 754,- (which is about the maximum i want to spend)

Give me some advice lads.. What should i do..

Hidde
2012-09-24, 18:03
go for it

Maybe take a Z77 board instead of Z75, if you like the benefits of that chipset. Do post your power supply before purchasing... I suppose not but there might be something wrong with it ;)

zladuric
2012-09-24, 19:39
CAn't comment on other specs really, but don't go under that 120GB SSD :)
And I am on AMD CPUs for ages now, except for a new i5 in my work laptop, so can't comment, but i5 does not seem like cutting edge to me.
But again, I'm totally not into Intel CPUs and I don't know what they can do so you should prolly disregard that comment.

janbo872
2012-09-25, 06:17
I still have a Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 with 1 pci slot "plastic block ript of" this weekend i check if i can repair it .. but it still works fine without that slot .. i buyed a new one because i have 2 x GTX580 OC and wanted to run it in SLI. When i can fix it you can buy it for € 50,- ..... and that is a OG ...friendly price so to say.

0daro0
2012-09-25, 13:05
@ janbo if you sell it, i maybe intrested in it, i hope you can fix it.

btw is it intel ?

but snakshit is first so let him decide first.

st0mpy
2012-09-25, 18:09

Ive had many past models and built raid arrays from them in past times but now ive stopped recommending Seagate for mech hdds, its Western Digital all the way imo, but its your choice

Burning
2012-09-27, 18:38

Ive had many past models and built raid arrays from them in past times but now ive stopped recommending Seagate for mech hdds, its Western Digital all the way imo, but its your choice

I got my 7200.14 ST1000DM003 few days ago. works like a charm, it makes no noise at all, cant hear it. Its lightning fast for a HDD. No problems what so ever, i never quite figure why people dont recommend Seagate. All harddrive have a chance to crash. I see no reason not to get one of the new seagates, since they are alot faster than WD counterparts.

i get avarage of 160mb/ps write
peak of 200mb/ps and minimum of 95.
14 ms accestime, 198mb/ps burst.
No WD drive makes this, not even the Caviar blacks, while a Caviar black 1tb is 90 euro ,and this one is cheaper.

Also i5 is best gaming CPU atm, so its totally not out dated, i7's hypertreading gives no more value in gaming. So a waste of money. And AMD's CPU's are really getting crushed on almost all aspects by intel atm. Maybe for real budget the old Phenom II X4 955, 965 and Â*the X6 1090T are intresting. but not for Snakeshits budget, i5 is way faster.

As Hidde said, i recommend getting a Z77 chipset board . I whouldnt get Janbo's board or the Z75. Z68 is a Sandybridge Chipset. it does support Ivy chips like that i5. But not all of their features. So best choice is getting a Ivy specific board, Z77 chipset. Asrock has good , not so expensive ones.

Also i recommend getting Corsair Vengeance memory, its barely more expensive than this, but faster.

st0mpy
2012-09-27, 21:10
I personally had a problem with the last Seagate drive I had, a firmware bug threw me into a potential data loss scenario for that model and couldnt use it till seagate issued a firmware fix, that was annoying since I ended up having to buy another drive in the meantime, then more recently they reduced all their warranties on Barracuda range down to 1 year ... WD also reduced theirs but to a minimum of 2 years, and only only green drives, since you mention the caviar black thats still got a 5 year warranty

I know there will be plenty of good drives from both companies, its just my opinion, the 1 year warranty thing for an item that is designed to last a lot longer feels worrisome to me, especially as I want cheap reliability and am not bothered about a notch or two more speed.

Burning
2012-09-27, 23:10
European law states that any item bought in the Eu should have 2 year warrenty minimum. So even if Seagate only gives you 1 year, your reseller whould give you another, they know damn well that if they dont give you 2 years, and you sue them. there screwed :D.

But yea, indeed its an opinion thing. I had multiple WD's, 1 seagate, and now this seagate. I got had no issues at all with them.

janbo872
2012-09-28, 02:10
Z68 is a Sandybridge Chipset. it does support Ivy chips like that i5. But not all of their features.

Which features are that then ?

st0mpy
2012-09-28, 14:44
usb3 now native to the chipset (4x)
pci3.0
triple head monitors (was only dual on z68)
Virtu MVP (some mobos)
eliminates PCI support (almost)

ive noticed generally:
wider support for 2400 ram
wider support for usb3 front headers

Burning
2012-09-28, 17:29
usb3 now native to the chipset (4x)
pci3.0
triple head monitors (was only dual on z68)
Virtu MVP (some mobos)
eliminates PCI support (almost)

ive noticed generally:
wider support for 2400 ram
wider support for usb3 front headers

Yes this, so the way i see it, if you spend money on a CPU and Motherboard you want to keep for a long time. You want all its features .Janbo's board does support PCI 3.0 since its a gen3 version though. ÂÂ*But elimination of PCI support is a pretty big deal. Also the USB and RAM Support are neat features to have , when in the future faster RAM comes out and USB3.0 becomes the standard. I expect that to happen in the upcoming year.

janbo872
2012-09-28, 18:30
What do you mean with "elimination of PCI support is a pretty big deal" this board has 2 x PCI 3.0 x 16 slots and 4 x rear USB 3.0 and 1 x front USB 3.0 header with 2 x USB 3.0, maybe i am stupid but what am i missing here ?

Caveman
2012-09-29, 08:51
Janbo you have 2 PCI express slots not pic slots, i think thats where you go wrong.

But why is the los of pci such a big deal?? Never used that since PCI express is common on mainbords.

janbo872
2012-09-29, 09:00
I think it's clear now ... 8)

Burning
2012-09-29, 15:01
I think it's clear now ... 8)

Its a matter of opinion in any case.

Sandybridge uses a External Controller for USB3 functionality. You have to install a driver for the USB 3.0 to actually function.
With Ivy boards. This comes native to the Chipset. Which means that it will always work better and more fluent. And it saves you some troubles. As for PCI Support. PCI are ugly *$&^%#*&^$. So im really happy to see them gone. But thats just me :D.

Let me sum this up.
I personally whould always by the chipset that goes with my CPU. Simply because i feel its stupid to pay for something, but not being able to acces all its features.
So my advice whould be to get a Z77 chipset with that CPU.

But regardless, Janbo's board isnt bad in any way at all. And will do the Job when it comes to running the CPU and everything. Its a matter of preference, might not be entirely clear about this in my previous posts. Sorry :D.

As for my other suggestions, they still stand ofcourse ;D.
Also Janbo. Why did you replace the Z68 with whatever motherboard you have now?

st0mpy
2012-10-02, 04:53
yeah tbh there isnt an awful lot to be gained going from Z68 Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge, its more of an update than a new evolution, im upgrading because my main system is lynnfield, earlier than Z68 but even from that im not expecting much of a performance increase, its mainly for lower power and because intels chipset is finally complete, wheras if i had an SB i wouldnt be thinking of upgrading at all.

0daro0
2012-10-02, 15:02
haha, awww stil got AMD. Po0R me Lookin for Moneyzosss..

st0mpy
2012-10-02, 17:18
nothing wrong with AMD, theyre still price competitive at the performance level you get for it