PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for my setup?

Alien_Smith
2012-08-11, 04:02
Hello all,

I am planning to buy a new gaming computer. The setup that I've chosen is from Alternate with their PC Builder. テつ*I have no experience with building a machine from scratch, I don't enjoy it and buying the separate parts at Alternate goes for the same price.

Objective;
- only gaming, at least 60FPS on a 27''monitor 1920 x 1080 (?)
- get me going for 3 to 4 years with a video card upgrade or an upgrade set

I have previously bought complete systems, so apart from replacing components I have no experience what so ever.
Any suggestions where I go wrong or where I could do better within the same price range?

Thanks,
Alien_Smith

power 1 x Cooler Master GX Lite 700 watt
case 1 x Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced
motherboard 1 x ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
CPU 1 x Intelツョ Core邃「 i5-3570K
CPU cooler 1 x be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1
Video-card 1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC Signature (02G-P4-2683-KR)
memory 1 x Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit
SSD 1 x Corsair CSSD-F120GB3-BK
500 GB Hard-disk 1 x Hitachi HDS721050CLA362
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit NL
monitor 1 x Iiyama B2776HDS-W1
1 x Card Reader 54 in 1
DVD writer 1 x LiteOn IHAS122

janbo872
2012-08-11, 06:44
Asrock has verry stable mainboards, using it myself after 10 years using Asus

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68%20Extreme7%20Gen3/

Intel 2600k = better and faster, easy overclock

Iiyama E2710HDS = using this monitor myself ...

PsychoEMT
2012-08-11, 08:07
Any intel i5, i7 2500 or greater series are good processors, get a good Video card e.g. Nvidia GTX 500, 600, etc...or ATI Radeon
6000 series cards are also good. テつ*HDD: テつ*get a SSD if you can afford one. テつ*any Windows 7 64 bit OS. Mainboard: テつ*in myexperience Gigabyte, Asus, Asrock, are all good makers and I've had no problems with them. テつ*DVD drive, uhhh, might as well splurge there and get you a proper Blueray RE/RW multidrive, I have an LG. テつ*RAM: I really like Corsair for RAM, good brand. テつ*Power supply, again Corsair or Thermaltake. テつ*At least 850 Watts so you can handle adding more crap later. テつ*Case: テつ*get a decent sized one, at least Mid-tower or Full tower.

That's all I can think of right now.

P.S. Don't forget to use thermal paste on your processor and get a good heatsink/fan combo, or water cool.

Caveman
2012-08-11, 08:08
And do not buy a corsair ssd, get youself a crucial m4 or better samsung 830 series.

And if you need some help building just give me a yell :wink:

What pricerange are you thinking of? So i can come up with my idea of what i would have been building.

Alien_Smith
2012-08-11, 14:36
Jan:
I will stick with the Iiyama

PsychoEMT:
I figured that new components become more energy efficient as technology progresses so 700 Watt would be enough to do a video-card upgrade in the future. Is it? Or should I get a 1000 watt.

I will stick to the i5. I have read on several fora that the hyper trading that the i7 does is not used in most games. (?)

The case (Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced) is a budget mid tower and it is getting good reviews. Hopefully it will be big enough for future upgrades. I'll take my chances.

The machine is for gaming only. I dont need a Blue Ray for that. Or will I in the future?

Cave;
I will sort out the SSD brand. Thanks.

The setup above is 1900 Euro and that is the budget monitor included.

I'm not into building myself and don't enjoy it. I will get it build by a company and have chosen Alternate for now. The price for seperate components and a assebled machine is the same. They give a warranty also. Maybe there are better sites to get components and get it assembled. Anyone?
http://www.alternate.nl/html/configurator/builder/pc/page.html

Thanks all. More do's and dont's are welcome.

Caveman
2012-08-12, 12:29
Als je zeveel geld aan een bequiet cooler uitgeeft zou ik eerder voor dit:

http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/Corsair/Cooling_Hydro_Series_H80/874236/?tk=7&lk=4237

Kiezen, geen onderhoud nodig en je proc blijft een behoorlijk beetje koeler.

Alien_Smith
2012-08-12, 17:25
I wanted to get that onme but somehowe im not able to get it in the Alternate builder. Have to sort that out.

Ive changed the croshair SSD for a Samsung and chanced the power from 700 to 850

Caveman
2012-08-12, 18:14
M8 if you need help building or go pick up the parts @ alternate just let me know!

Not sure what they charge for building a pc but that can be saved and i am pretty sure we can make a hell of a pc.

Besides they are going to install a complete windows 7 on it with no propper setting @ all wich can make you system a lot less easy to use, compared to a proper preinstalled setup.

Hidde
2012-08-12, 20:09
-850W is overkill, 650W is meer dan genoeg voor deze setup (neem dan wel een goede voeding dus geen CM GX-series, maar bijvoorbeeld een goede Corsair of Seasonic).
-De Samsung 830 SSD's zijn inderdaad beter.
-H80 zal wel passen in die CM690II, als ik even naar mijn eigen 690II kijk :P

ik zou Caveman hem voor je laten bouwen ipv Alternate, vooral voor de kabelmanagement ;) Wat ze ook doen bij Alternate is een garantiesticker op de achterkant en het zijpaneel plakken, zodat je je garantie al kwijt bent als je het zijpaneel opendoet. Upgraden zonder de garantie te verbreken is dus niet eens mogelijk, tenzij je een gat in de zijkant zaagt :P

FluggerNO
2012-08-12, 20:18
Hold on to the 850w.
Then u are good for more upgrades in the future.
The pc doesn't use more then it need anyway.

RPGforYOU
2012-08-12, 20:53
I got an idea, you order much more expansive shit then my current system.
You send it to me. And I sent you my current one?! :P

Alien_Smith
2012-08-12, 22:04
-850W is overkill, 650W is meer dan genoeg voor deze setup (neem dan wel een goede voeding dus geen CM GX-series, maar bijvoorbeeld een goede Corsair of Seasonic).
-De Samsung 830 SSD's zijn inderdaad beter.
-H80 zal wel passen in die CM690II, als ik even naar mijn eigen 690II kijk :P

ik zou Caveman hem voor je laten bouwen ipv Alternate, vooral voor de kabelmanagement ;) Wat ze ook doen bij Alternate is een garantiesticker op de achterkant en het zijpaneel plakken, zodat je je garantie al kwijt bent als je het zijpaneel opendoet. Upgraden zonder de garantie te verbreken is dus niet eens mogelijk, tenzij je een gat in de zijkant zaagt :P

850 inderdaad overkill volgens http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
Terug gezet naar 750 watt maar dan van croshair CMPSU-750HX, prijsverschil met 650 valt mee en deze krijgt goede reviews

Alien_Smith
2012-08-12, 22:37
M8 if you need help building or go pick up the parts @ alternate just let me know!

Not sure what they charge for building a pc but that can be saved and i am pretty sure we can make a hell of a pc.

Besides they are going to install a complete windows 7 on it with no propper setting @ all wich can make you system a lot less easy to use, compared to a proper preinstalled setup.

What do you mean with no propper settings?

Het price for 'geconfigureerd, geassembleerd en op functionaliteit' getest is 55 Euro.

Caveman
2012-08-12, 22:54
Wel ik doe het voor niets, ehm een biertje tijdens montage nagelaten dan :wink:

I mean the way windows is installed on your pc and the way they configure the hardrive usage is just out of the box.
And you need to configure those during installation to get the best out of it so if you decided to do it better you have to install windows again.

And that is so hororbly wrong. +1 for Hidde they lock up your system so when you wanna clean dust you already lost your warranty! 8O テつ*8O テつ*8O
So why pay 55 euro to Alternate ツ*:roll:

Alien_Smith
2012-08-13, 00:53
Ty for the offer Cave. I didnt have a clue about hard drive config during installation. Ive bought a complete system at alternate 4 years ago with the sticker on the case so i know about that. Thanks for the offer. I sort it out and let u know.

btw: i'll stick with the dark rock cooler. The budget seems to expand the more people give me usefull tips. First i wanted the Scythe Mugen 3 Rev.B PCGH-Edition for about 10euro less, 10 euro is not much but i've keep on crossing a line like this, the croshair H80 is another 50euro+.

st0mpy
2012-08-13, 11:38
850W yes overkill, a 600-650W name make is more than enough, a psu efficiency curve is often around 50% of load, and your load I estimate at around 250-300W full tilt gaming, future proofing isnt worth worrying about either, as time goes on dies reduce in size thus components such as cpus are using less power year on year. As for cooling Ivy bridge (series 3....K processors) is cooler than sandy bridge (series 2....K) at stock but IB ramps up the heat faster than SB if you do goose the voltage to stablise an OC.

id at least get a blue ray reader inside the dvd burner, even full up BDR burners arent that expensive these days (50 gig per disk, but personally i think its a redundant optical format as far as a pc goes nowadays) but you may not have budget for one, in which case stick with a BD reader with the dvd burner. ツ*Myself ive been looking at the plextor external USB3 burn everything BR/DVD since now almost all pcs can boot from usb I only need one drive for all of them and itll only use power when its in use rather than have multiples on 12v standby all the time in the cases.

dont get too hooked up on a cpu cooler if you arent interested in overclocking (i see you have a k series but you didnt mention it) since they run quite cool at stock voltages, any aftermarket cooler will be fine but if you want a monster one, its gonna cost and without o/c its a waste (and could sound like a hoover on steroids with no real gain to you).

agreed on comments regarding corsair SSDs, my friend swears by them but i wont touch them, so far ive used Crucial M4 and Intel X25M and theyve never let me down

500GB seems small these days, i know you probably feel its massive but the cost difference between that and a 1TB unit wont be double the cost and if you get into collecting films or taking raw game footage that 500GB will be eaten up rapidly. These days 2TB drives seem to be the sweet spot, ive been using the WD greens for data drives (2 and 3TB versions) without issue for upto a year now, just dont use a green for a windows boot drive.

dunno if you want to step up to 2400 ram, 1600 is getting a bit long in the tooth, might be pricey tho

Windows home premium has a 16GB memory limitation, its ok now but is this going to be a problem in the future? if you think so Win7 Pro is the next one up with home being a subset of pro so you dont lose anything (i bought pro for exactly this reason, iirc pro allows up to 192GB)

Alien_Smith
2012-08-13, 22:06
Good tip on the windows 7 home edition limit. I've changed it to pro and switched the power supply to 650W Corsair CMPSU-650HX which compensates the price difference a bit.

Got diskspace enough on my old system. Changed the brand to WD and 1000gb for future use.

I dont need the blue ray for now. I still buy them as a collecter and got a 2 year old panasonic plasma + bueray homecinema.

standard the 3570K supports 1600 and the sabertooth 1833. Dunno about the 2400? It will take some changes in the bios.

I will not overclock right away, probabaly after a year or more, and I can always buy another cooler later so the cooler goes back to the cheaper Scythe Mugen 3 Rev.B PCGH-Edition.

Ty for the good comment.