PDA

View Full Version : Dxtory and BF3 video

TenFPS
2012-07-14, 03:00
Hello folks!

Been messing with dxtory and recording BF3 - partly, lol, because I've been accused lately of hacking on the TDM server I play on.

The problem I'm running into is file size and quality settings.

I'm using x264vfg - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec and recording at 1280x720 (720p) and using 16-bit PCM sound at 48000Hz

This dramatically reduced my file sizes but to record a full 20+ minute match it will still take me a few gigs at the very least... is this expected? or should I degrade quality a bit. I do have it set pretty high...

here is a match (part of one) that I recorded

http://youtu.be/Iw74NFzz7NE

I'm also having problems getting more than two sound channels to register. I can have mic or game sounds but not both at the same time... although I think it's possible that both sound streams are present, I'm not sure how to merge them into a single stream.

ExLee
2012-07-14, 04:29
Well for me Fraps is taking 1GB of space for 1 minute of gameplay, more or less. So i would say that few gigs for 20 minutes is very low by my standards :D

Can't help you with the audio problems but I might check out the Dxtory trial myself and see if it's any good for me but then again 37€ is a really steep price and I don't think I'm willing to pay this much for a recording software...

TenFPS
2012-07-14, 04:46
As you can see by my test video - the quality is pretty good and that video was 1.19 gigs.

You can download and try the software for free (it will put a big DXTORY banner at the top until you pay for it) but all options are enabled. You may have to download codecs for it.

The one I'm using now that seems to give me the most bang is found here.

http://www.mediafire.com/?kse487kvnsc1rcu

.. and as you can see from the video I made - it has a minimal impact on my in-game fps. I'm still averaging well over 100 fps on ultra at 1080p

Let me know what you think.

TR1OX1N
2012-07-14, 10:47
I use bandicam and looking at one of the old ones I recorded 25min was 762MB

Burning
2012-07-14, 11:47
My recordings of 38 min easily exceed 60 gb's

Why care? you compress it in a video editor anyway, its not suppose to be uploaded uncompressed :)

Video compressor makes that 1080p 60gb 38min to about 2 gb with not that much quality loss.

Easy H264 Encoder (http://tweevo.com/easy-h-264-video-encoder/)

That program doesnt work with all files. It works with fraps ones, and the fact that fraps now is able to record into 1 big file.
Program is good if you dont know to use a video editor.

Good luck :)

ExLee
2012-07-14, 14:00
I tried it and... I don't know either I'm stupid or it sucks because for me it either doesn't work at all (no recording), the video is lagging like hell or the files are WAY too big: Something like 150MB/s which is just too much...

Whatever I'll stick with Fraps: It's good, simple, it works and I can use it. I can deal with 4GB video splits because I cut 30-60 second clips out of them in VirtualDub then delete the rest before I use the clips in Sony Vegas. So no need for compression and after the rendered video is done I delete all the raw material, this way HDD space is not a problem for me.

Long story short: I'm not gonna fix it if it's not broke :D