PDA

View Full Version : DayZ - Zombie survival phenomenon

Macknetic
2012-07-05, 14:41
DayZ is a mod for the military simulator style FPS Arma II. The player spawns on the coast of a single 225 square km piece of Russia that has been infected by the walking dead. You will have to scavenge abandoned towns and villages full of zombies for food & drink, weapons and tools to be able to survive. If you don't stay low and move carefully the zombies will spot you and most likely kill you. If you don't eat or drink on a regular basis you will die from starvation or thirst. If you don't mind your body temperature you will die from sickness.

You are not the only survivor though. There can be up to 60 other players on your map. Thus far I have only met two types of players: scared players that will very likely shoot on sight out of paranoia and plain bastards that will shoot on sight because of their nature. So, lots of ways to die. And there are no revives or saves (it saves only when you log off). When you die all the carefully scavenged gear and weapons are gone and you respawn on the coast again with nothing.....

Yes indeed, this game is brutal.

It is also one of the hottest titles in gaming at the moment. This single mod pushed the four year old Arma II back on the bestsellers lists beating current AAA titles in sales. The slightly outdated Arma II graphics engine delivers a highly immersive and realistic environment and the many dangers that inhabit the Russian countryside constantly keep you on your toes.

Basically, the creators only provide the gaming world and it is up to the players to choose where to travel and how to survive. They create their own adventure instead of being forced to play out a story written by the developers. Me and Darus have been coテカp playing it for a week now and found it to be a highly addictive experience. Teaming up with others is great fun and also has huge advantages.

On a side note, the mod is still in Alpha phase of development which means there can be annoying bugs and periods when the main server is offline. The team is working hard though and patches are implemented almost every week.

To play this you will have to buy Arma II Combined Operations (Arma II + Operation Arrowhead expansion). It costs about 25 euros or 30 dollars on Steam. The DayZ mod can then be downloaded for free from their site (below).

I feel this alpha mod could be the birth of a classic FPS game. Of course it's not quite there yet but it's already a very exciting gaming experience. A little warning though: the game is not easy to learn and very unforgiving for newcomers. Having said that, I know I will be having many more hours of thrilling DayZ gameplay despite the occasional frustration and I'd like to recommend it to everyone.

Great Introduction and Starters guide by DaSquirrelsNuts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3op-Q1o5RI&list=UUSeb5KSN6BC1c0WwEjUzM_A&index=0&feature=plcp
Some links with more information:

DayZ website: http://dayzmod.com/index.php

DayZ Wiki: http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

DayZ gameworld map: http://dayzdb.com/map

More DayZ gameplay on YouTube:

DaSquirrelsNuts: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLECA2645C581BE522

Chibigoat: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1233C89D29D225B4

ExLee
2012-07-05, 16:36
Oh yeah, DayZ... I would love to play it but I'm not interested in ArmA II and paying 25竄ャ just to play the mod is a bit too much for me (Still waiting for Steam Summer Sale :D)
Besides I've noticed in some videos that it takes ages to load and I think that my internet connection would triple the loading times テつ*:?

Macknetic
2012-07-05, 17:59
In my opinion it's worth the 25 euros, but even better if the price gets lowered with the Summer Sale of course. ツ*8)

Load times kinda depend on the server. Servers are hosted by the community (or rented by them). Germany actually has quite a lot of servers which might help with your connection speed. But it is an Alpha, so inevitably it has the occasional technical problems.

Btw, character progress is saved on the main server independent from the server you play on. So you can start on one server, log off and then continue your progress from the same location on the map on a different server. If you stay alive that is, the average life span of a character is 30 minutes..... テつ*8O

Darus
2012-07-06, 00:13
Posting to confirm that this game is awesome. It is likely the most hardcore game I've ever played in that you lose everything if you die; however, once you get started there is a certain morbid satisfaction which comes along from finally shooting zombies in the head rather than running like a little girl from them.

The realism is top-notch and the game is always set on hard mode so it may not be for everyone. I just wish that I could play more. Every time I log in Macknetic is all like, "I got a gillie suit," or, "I have a 20 slot backpack." I hate you Mack.

ExLee
2012-07-06, 04:07
Damn, now I really want to play it... But 25 Euros and 10GB+ download that would take me days to finish is like punch in the face for me テつ*:cry: テつ*

I have to find a way somehow テつ*:x

ExLee
2012-07-08, 18:22
I finally got DayZ and I have to say it's pretty damn good. Played whole day today and it was a lot of fun especially when you have people helping you. At some point I was together we 3 other dudes and we were shooting every survivor we met and taking their stuff テつ*:lol: テつ*Until we reached Cherno and all of us were sniped by some bandits on rooftops... Fun times :D

Darus
2012-07-08, 19:13
We're going to be playing around 0900 tmorrow morning if you can be on. I have the day off work and Mack is so full of win and gold that he can do whatever he wants and still make money. We'll be on teamspeak if you can make it.

Sir_Extimor
2012-07-09, 17:36
Hey guys,
Me and Aero are playing DayZ as well, we have our own 50 slot server if you guys would like to join.
Just search for "SE 19" as hostname.
Also you do not have to purchase it at steam to get a steam-key.
I bought my copy from: https://store.bistudio.com/ for 竄ャ18.74

We are a gang of 6 people that plays daily and have established a camp with vehicles and rare weapons =)

Shadowfox
2012-07-09, 18:42
I'm going to try it, lemme buy arma first.
Anyone got some instructions so I don't have to look for all the info myself? :)

Darus
2012-07-09, 20:34
I'm going to try it, lemme buy arma first.
Anyone got some instructions so I don't have to look for all the info myself? :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/DayZSurvival

That has some stuff. your best bet is just to search youtube.

http://dayzdb.com/map#3.059.085

You'll want that map too.

Hey guys,
Me and Aero are playing DayZ as well, we have our own 50 slot server if you guys would like to join.
Just search for "SE 19" as hostname.
Also you do not have to purchase it at steam to get a steam-key.
I bought my copy from: https://store.bistudio.com/ for 竄ャ18.74

We are a gang of 6 people that plays daily and have established a camp with vehicles and rare weapons =)

When do you play? We'd love to have a few pros around to show us what's up. As is I, at least, am still fairly nubbish. Mack and I had some military grade rifles (AKM and such) along with a stocked tent but the recent patch (or something) killed our tent and we both died horribly today and lost everything.

Sir_Extimor
2012-07-10, 13:28
Damn, yea the recent patch messed a lot of things up for everyone. We lost all vehicles and stuff. But they did a rollback today which game us back our stuff. So we are up and running again. We are not super pro either but we have played for a while and had engagement with other clans.
We play every evening/night. Around 6pm to 2am GMT+2 usually. I will try to bring my buddies to OG TS when we play so we all can have a good time together :) We have enough guns to go around and survival gear for those who needs it.
Are your in-game nicks the same as here? I will keep an eye out for you.

Shadow are you finished with Diablo ? ;)

Macknetic
2012-07-10, 14:21
Teaming up sounds good!

I've really been enjoying this mod as you can see from the big post I made here. Darus and me have slowly been getting better at surviving but still fall victim to the many dangers regularly (including the many bugs, glitches and unstable servers). Our goal at the moment is to get a tent set up somewhere with some basic supplies so we don't need to start from scratch each time we die.

Cooperating with a larger gang like yours sounds really cool but at the same time I have to add that we're not looking for handouts or want to depend too much on your hard earned supplies to survive. You probably agree with me when I say that scavenging for gear yourself and finding cool equipment is where the fun lies in this game.

But I'm definitely up for joining on TS and strategizing together. Helping each other out and sharing resources should make survival a bit easier. To my own shame I had to log off like a little girl yesterday after seeing ExLee and Darus being killed right before my eyes, scared to loose my backpack full of medical supplies. ツ*:oops:

Darus
2012-07-10, 16:14
Damn, yea the recent patch messed a lot of things up for everyone. We lost all vehicles and stuff. But they did a rollback today which game us back our stuff. So we are up and running again. We are not super pro either but we have played for a while and had engagement with other clans.
We play every evening/night. Around 6pm to 2am GMT+2 usually. I will try to bring my buddies to OG TS when we play so we all can have a good time together :) We have enough guns to go around and survival gear for those who needs it.
Are your in-game nicks the same as here? I will keep an eye out for you.

Shadow are you finished with Diablo ? ;)

Mack's in-game name is the same while mine, for some odd reason, is my real life name, "Wade." I usually get on during my lunch time (1200 GMT+1) for an hour or so and then later at night provided BF3 isn't calling me. Being new to Dayz I still get the "I need to kill someone" itch that BF3 is so good at scratching.

I doubt that I'll be Dayzing it up tonight (scratch scratch) but tomorrow I have plans to do an early morning raid on Cherno to get up and running again so maybe I'll try to hook up with you guys later that night. As Mack said, I'm not going to let my first impression be, "Hey guys can you gives me your stoof?"

ExLee
2012-07-10, 18:58
Yeah those damn bugs fucked me in the ass last night... I had FN FAL, MP5 SD and a ghillie suit but lost them because the damn backpack is glitched and my ghillie suit just disappeared after switching servers... :(

You would not believe how much fun it is to shoot scavengers at night with the ghillie suit while hiding in a bush and using a silenced weapon: They can't see or hear you and after a while they start panicking and running in circles :D Fun times...

Darus you can switch your name if you create a new profile in the options menu. テつ*:wink:

Shadowfox
2012-07-24, 02:44
http://i.imgur.com/hgQpy.jpg

Burning
2012-07-24, 10:44
I bought ARMA 2 on the Steam sale, so i'll be checking into this aswell.