PDA

View Full Version : New graphics card help

Aspargus
2012-06-06, 19:16
Hi! I want to upgrade my PC with a new graphics card, but I'm having some trouble getting my head around this computer stuff... I built this PC back in the fall of 2007, and little have changed since then. It has a Nvidia geforce 8800gt, 4GB DDR2 ram, Intel core 2 quad Q4400 (I think), 650W power supply (kinda screwed, supply's 5v to everything when computer is off but has worked fine like that for 3+ years :? ), 2TB HD, and MSi silent-pipe something motherboard. My plan is to upgrade everything, but technology has moved so far a lot will have to be replaced at the same time. For now i want to do as much as possible without replacing the motherboard, but also without having to replace the new stuff when i get that far. My goal is to be able to play most new games with reasonable performance and quality (say, BF3 on high 1680x1050 60fps).

Now to the question: I'd like to start with the graphics card, but will a new one work with both older PCI express motherboards and brand new PCI express 3.0 ones (i saw a card somewhere that said it would but can't find it anymore)? And if so, any recommended cards at a sensible price (say, around 2000NOK/340USD/270EUR, preferably a bit less, maybe a little more)?

Any other ideas/tips/suggestions/whatever are welcome too :)

Neera
2012-06-08, 09:29
Now to the question: I'd like to start with the graphics card, but will a new one work with both older PCI express motherboards and brand new PCI express 3.0 ones ?

Hi,

Yes, the PCI version for single GPU setups do not make a difference.

For 1650x... everything bigger than gtx560ti is overkill. price: <200竄ャ. be shure to buy a Ti
It can do its full potential when you get a faster cpu.

Did you know the pro guys all play Battlefield3 on 1650x... because they want to have high fps. Like all the pro CS players play Counterstrike 1.6 on 640x480.

Greets
Neera

Burning
2012-06-08, 12:25
Also something to keep in mind a bottlenecks, if you slap a GTX680 in your system, your CPU will not be fast enough to let the 680 tear on, therfor you whould get hickups in the game, the moments where the 680 is forced to idle for a second because the CPU is still busy processing the previous data.

I think a GTX 560 TI whould do you fine, runs every thing out now.
Thing to keep in mind is that some games user over 1gb of videoram, meaning you get hickups again if you have a 1gb card (bf3 on ultra 1080p for example runs 1.6gb) because GPU needs to make room in memory.

But as you said your playing on 1650x... You shouldnt have issues,

GTX560 ti テつ*is a very solid card.

FluggerNO
2012-06-08, 12:32
Amd テつ* テつ*http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=745752
NVIDIA テつ* テつ* http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=622733

Aspargus
2012-06-09, 14:08
Thanks guys! Good to know i won't have to upgrade everything at the same time, and that a GTX 560 Ti, i was afraid i would have to go quite a bit more expensive than that.