PDA

View Full Version : The IRNV scope Debate

SnakeXT
2011-11-09, 02:14
I've recently unlocked this attachment and thought sod it, looks a lot like an ACOG scope which I never use. I mainly use RDS or holographic but this little beauty has saved my ass a lot on the battlefield. Yes, it improves your K/D considerably but you should not blame the scope but how the player using it behaves differently. Some people who love this scope would like it to be toned down a bit.

I've seen countless threads within BF3 PC forum that this attachment is "overpowered". It should be "nerfed" or completely taken out of the game. I haven't come across any of OG members complaining so I am assuming you've come across this attachment at some point and never thought of it, still yet to unlock it or haven't been on the receiving end of someone using this against you a lot.

I found it beneficial for several reasons without entirely abusing the scope which some people do.

-Assuming you're still alive and can aim back and see the direction the damage came from you can pinpoint the person wanting you dead. Without it, you'd be tapping Q and by the time you get to spot anyone, you're dead.

-Improves on how you look at your surroundings better, take metro for example, lots of cover from foliage, bushes etc you're likely to get picked off. A quick glance with this scope can save you.

-Metro underground, tunnels: It brightens dark places so you can see heat signatures of enemies.

Downside of this scope is its very shaky if you don't hold your breath, some say you don't need to as its very minimal, well I can say for targeting far ranges, you can tell when you have to and out of breath how uneasy it is to maintain aim. Burst fire could compensate if you're good at it under heavy fire.

One way DICE can make people happy is increasing the sway so its unmanageable without holding your breath. Have it somewhat useless in daylight but by a margin.

Your thoughts?

Amance
2011-11-09, 03:22
That's awesome that you bring that up. We were talking about that with Jaskaman just a few hours ago.

You summarized the problematic very well: the night scope gives a real advantage in many combat situation by greatly improving the in game visibility.

This scope allows to see so much better moving or partially hided targets. Because of the colors of the graphics, the many items spread over the maps, and even sometimes the weather effect (fog in Grand Bazaar), it can be difficult to see a target. To make the ennemy skin flashy yellow is definitely giving an advantage.

If it was up to me, I would juste remove it from the game, or I would allow it in only dark maps such as Tehran highway. This map is quite open and a little better to snipe, so we can (maybe) assume that night scope would compensate.

Plus, I haven't paid a brand new computer and high end graphic game to play with shity colors...

FluggerNO
2011-11-09, 09:13
Well I like the scope.
I use it all the time.
Use it always to clear the space back of me when I play rush moving from base to base.

jak3z
2011-11-09, 12:40
Needs to be removed or changed as it was in the beta. This is like giving everybody a legal "wallhack". In this game you need to protect bases, bombs and stuff, if you hiding in a bush to avoid somebody defusing/capturing/arming an objective and you are spoted from 100m away with a shiny yellow color in sunlight (while the rocks, cars, walls, and stuff is REALLY COLD, according to the scope) it's not fair.

ExLee
2011-11-09, 13:15
I don't have a huge problem with it but it could be more balanced if they made it nearly useless on sunny and bright maps or by giving dead bodies and hot objects in the world a heat signature as well :)

Saitoshi
2011-11-09, 15:38
Removed?
Heh. Why should it be removed? It's not overpowered at all.

Do you notice the zoom on that scope? It's an X1 scope.
Meaning, you have visibility as an advantage, and the zoom as a MASSIVE disadvantage.

I've noticed that in larger maps, the scope is almost useless because someone with a higher zoom scope will tear you to shreds, even if you have fairly good aim.

I think it's a very balanced scope.

That and if the only reason to judge this scope, is the reason you can't hide in a bush and not check your immediate surrounding because you want some easy kills, then I think you need to judge your own play style first.

Your first question should be "why am I in direct line of sight from a target 100 meters away when I'm trying to defend something, even if I'm "inside a bush"?"

SnakeXT
2011-11-09, 15:50
Choosing a suitable spot to defend would be one way of looking at it in a rush map. The direction an enemy would be coming from. The IRNV cannot detect anything if you're concealed behind solid objects, foliage is a different story all together.

MightyDWC
2011-11-09, 18:44
if ÂÂ*you research and look at video's on FLIR (Foward Looking Infra Red) used by most attack helo's such as the apache, yes it can be used for night vision, but also used during the day to pick up targets that are no visible with the naked eye.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obrqe0jWE70

Where you see people and explosions in white, this is what's seen at night. The infra red can be switched to look at object during the day, and heat signatures and explosions show up as black.

Maybe it should have been put forth like this, but I don't have a problem with someone using it, or using it myself. Beside those that don't have a F2000 need some kind of advantage. I'm tired of putting a full clip from a M416 into someone and they live while ÂÂ*they can shoot 3 bullets in burst mode from a F2000 and kill me.

jak3z
2011-11-09, 18:51
if Â*you research and look at video's on FLIR (Foward Looking Infra Red) used by most attack helo's such as the apache, yes it can be used for night vision, but also used during the day to pick up targets that are no visible with the naked eye.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obrqe0jWE70

Where you see people and explosions in white, this is what's seen at night. The infra red can be switched to look at object during the day, and heat signatures and explosions show up as black.

Maybe it should have been put forth like this, but I don't have a problem with someone using it, or using it myself. Beside those that don't have a F2000 need some kind of advantage. I'm tired of putting a full clip from a M416 into someone and they live while Â*they can shoot 3 bullets in burst mode from a F2000 and kill me.

Then sir if you can't kill with a M416 you need to aim better.
A F2000 doesn't make more damage, just fire quicker :/