PDA

View Full Version : EA's Origin is basically spyware, with no opt-out.

AceMarksman
2011-08-26, 13:57
Oh dear. EA is really doing everything it can to avoid people buying this game. First the exclusive weapons (thankfully cancelled), then the forced Origin install (which I don't want)... but this one may take the cake: http://www.destructoid.com/ea-s-origin-may-be-glorified-spyware-causes-mass-upset-209745.phtml

Quote:
The EULA says that EA can identify your computer, operating system, installed/uninstalled software/hardware, and use that information for marketing purposes while merrily sharing it with third party companies. It's all fairly disgusting, and there's no opt-out offer. If you don't want EA to know everything about you and pass the information along, your only recourse is to not install Origin -- which will mean you can't play Battlefield 3 on PC at all.

Yes, Steam has something similar, but it's opt-in, a big difference. There isn't even an opt-out option in Origin. They'll scan everything you have on your PC without asking and share anything they find with whoever they want, because you agreed to it when you accepted the EULA. Here's a screenshot of it: http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4107/origineula.png Note the text in caps, they know exactly what they're doing.

I just want to play the game, not put up with this kind of bullshit. Let's hope they back down on this as well, because I'm not going to pay to have spyware installed on my computer.

Pixy
2011-08-26, 14:16
-_-

jaskaman
2011-08-26, 17:08
Thx for the info, mate!
Hope to see u at tspeak soon, ace, havent seen u a long time ;)

Btw the link to that picture didnt work for me.

AceMarksman
2011-08-26, 19:07
Link should be working now Jaska

MightyDWC
2011-08-27, 00:01
Yeah I don't see why the internet is blazing about this considering that Microsoft, Apple, Steam, Adobe, and others I can't think of do the same thing, and NOW all the sudden it's a problem?

Besides, if Origin is running, it can't send info. I mean, who looks at pron while gaming anyway? /me scratched head

I don't care one way or the other, I'll be pwning along side you guys no matter what.