PDA

View Full Version : Ping Spikes

WillKennerley
2011-03-13, 11:34
Hello,

Over the past two weeks or so I have been getting annoying ping spikes which means I get kicked form the OG servers. The strange thing is, as soon as I see the '260 ping c'ya message' I check my ping and it's usually about 180. My ping always drops instantly to a lower level after a few seconds. I don't think I should be getting such high spikes as the servers outward ping to me (in server browser) usually only range between 18-25.

Are there any known fixes for ping spiking? I've disable all background stuff that uses internet. Tried using ethernet instead of wifi. Disabled IPv6. Configured my MTU etc. Am I missing something? Is there a game setting in the ini file perhaps? I am running Windows 7 HP 32bit.

Many thanks,

Vercetti
2011-03-13, 12:14
What game did this happen on?

Thanks!

MI-six
2011-03-13, 12:18
Hi WillKennerley

All our server are located in london so it is pritty strange that you have so high ping? (Bad company and medal of honor)
Have you other programs running when you try to play or spyware someting like that.
Maybe your computer is infected by someting

so i don't know what your probeme is for the moment

WillKennerley
2011-03-13, 12:39
I should have said this is on Bad Company 2.

I scan weekly for malware and I'm pretty sure I don't have any. I used to run raptr or steam when I played but I closed them as it made my ping worse. The only programs I run while playing is Catalyst Control centre (for overclock) Ati Tray Tools and Game Booster. Non of these use internet connection to run so I doubt they are the problem?

MI-six
2011-03-13, 13:15
Do you use steam to connect ?

WillKennerley
2011-03-13, 13:25
No I just run the standalone game.

MI-six
2011-03-13, 13:41
Oke

The server is in your backyard
you must have a good ping

have you already try to delete the game and install it clean.
Or try to update your punkbuster

FluggerNO
2011-03-13, 13:52
Hey.

I had this problemo to.

Here is what ya do.

Go to Task Manager. Then to Performance. Then to Resource Monitor. Then u have the CPU bar.
Go in there and see if some thing is using ya CPU to much.
I had some stuff that was using 48% of my CPU there.
Hope this helps.

HardestNoob
2011-03-13, 13:54
Do u got kicked from server 1 or all 3 servers?

WillKennerley
2011-03-13, 16:41
Thanks for the help everyone.

I updated PB, I think that was the problem. However I don't know how that would increase my ping. I managed to play about 10 minutes without being kicked or experience any ping spikes. I still have a high-ish ping 120+ (considering the server isn't too far away) but I think this may be partly to do with my weak internet connection.

Anyway if I encounter any problem when I play for a longer period (sometime next week) I will report back here.

Thanks,

jaskaman
2011-03-13, 19:43
Hello mate! Yes I see you have had lot of ping problems in our server. Hopefully problems are solved for you, you have been playing alot with us...

MI-six
2011-03-13, 22:44
Your welcome :D

SnakeUK
2011-03-14, 08:14
Hi, may i suggest this could be your net provider throttling the speeds i know from experience of uk providers many of them such as virgin throttle speeds the only one i know thay dont but they do average your speed out at 12am are sky but you still keep a good stable connection, other than that you havent done a thing wrong, but really
Without having a solid connection theres not alot can be done other than switching provider, may i suggest trying game on a friend or familys pc who are using a different provider? To see if you get lag spike then, it also may be graphical issues but the high ping been consiquental, try running game in low graphics to be sure its not graphical, i know if i run myne on max in mp i get a slight stutter and i have a gtx465 overclocked, so i drop it down a notch and problem solved, i noticed alot of people set graphics same as SP but MP graphics have more to load as they are not buffered the same as SP so give it a try dropoibg down the in game graphics and also check your video drivers are updated doesnt usualy fix much but hey ho you never know, im not saying this is your issue but its wortg a try, il be happy to help with what you come back with :)